Thursday 11 October 2012

Weddings, Hens and NP Set

I haven't been around for a while I've noticed. This past few weekends have been hectic to say the least.

Three weekends ago was my friend Emma's hen's night. I was really fun until three moves into the pole dancing lesson and I think I may have broken my little toe trying to do something called the Corkscrew. It probably didn't help that I had had about a bottle of wine, two jelly shooters and a Jagerbomb before beginning the class. Still suffering slightly but even if I went to the doctors and it was broken there is little to nothing to be done about it so I'd rather save myself the $70 required to find it out. Lucky for me, the outfit was supplied by the lovely bridesmaids. Hot pink armwarmers, leg warmers and tutus. I was going to wear my new lime green chunky heels but chose wisely to bring flats when I tried to negotiate the staircase.

A fortnight ago was my friend Ebony's hens night. Train ticket to the city booked, bed early to catch said train. Wake up at 3am with a throat so swollen I can't physically swallow. What's a bridesmaid to do? Naturally, sacrifice her joy, her anticipation and her $75 to make sure the bride doesn't catch whatever the fuck she's got. I spent my weekend alone in my room with ibuprofen, juice and peppermint tea.

Now last weekend is when it all kicks off. Ebony and Emma both got married on the same day and (with timezones) the same time.
Emma was married in Victoria where she's from. She hasn't come home yet but from what I've heard, the wedding went well with only one hitch, the weather, causing the wedding to be held in the reception hall instead. 
Ebony was married at the Golden Valley Tree park about an hours drive from where I live. The weather was perfect, if a little warm, the setting was magical and the service went without a hitch. I'll have lots of photos up soon of my dress. It was a steel grey satin dress in an A line strapless style with an off white yellow lace bolero which took me a few hours to complete. :)

I had my nipples pierced two weeks ago too! I feel like such a bad ass. My left one is perfect and happy but my right has been a little touchy. I've had the balls changed once to a larger size but its still digging in. I'm putting it down to a little light swelling for the moment and if it hasn't settled down in a couple of weeks I'll see what I can do. I may come down to a longer bar or having to take it out and having it re-pierced.

My work life has changed dramatically lately as well. We're adopting a new view of the world at Target. We're now 1000000% focused on customer service. Not that we weren't before but now, as a customer assistant/ beauty assistant, my entire job is to serve customers and advise them. No filling, no leaving my department to work on registers, just plain old, helpful, informative customer service. Granted right now, it's boring because it's only been almost three weeks since this new system started and the public hasn't exactly gotten used to our new style (most of the time, when you smile at people they think you're retarded), but I'm hopeful that in the coming weeks and months, it will be easier to approach customers to offer advice and guidance.
Also, a nice little nugget, I've been trained to apply makeup. Last Tuseday, I was sent up Perth to attend the Napoleon Perdis Makeup Academy for a short day course on how to use NP Set cosmetics. I really enjoyed the training and I learnt a lot. For example, I was unaware that it's better to apply your concealer after your foundation to avoid the white patches on your face. Generally the best way to apply makeup according to Napoleon is this:

  • Cleanse
  • Tone
  • Moisturise (as much as your skin can take)
  • Prime (face, eye, lip using only a very small amount. Applying too much primer will give you the sunburnt peeling effect on your face and ruin your makeup in the long run)
  • Foundation (applied lightly to the triangle between the outer ends of your eyebrows and your chin and blend outward)
  • Conceal (dabbing on with your foundation brush then using the warmth of your fingertips to blend into your foundation)
  • Powder (applied to the concealer first to lock it in then applied to the rest of your face)
  • Contour (darker shade to the line from your ear along the underside of your cheekbone in one sweeping motion and the tiniest amount between your hairline and eyes, highlighter applied to the area just under your eye and a natural (or pink/red/brown etc) blush applied to the apples of your cheeks and back to the hairline in a slightly upward motion, its best to smile to get it in the right position then blend with your powder brush. it doesn't matter if there's still product on there)
  • Eye makeup (shadow, liner, mascara)
  • Lips (lipstick/gloss followed by liner. Amy, the teacher, explained it as if you apply liner first and your lipstick fades, you'll be left with the strange line around your lips, but if you apply after, it fades with your lipstick thus still providing the anti-feathering abilities without any of the 90's fashion faux pas lips)
So far, I've had quite a bit of success with this method, though, as with all things, there is no one right way of doing anything. 

I believe I have rambled enough for one night

"Living past my use-by-date"
Livi DedGrrl

1 comment:

  1. Even got me a lil' mini makeover thanks to this gorgeous woman :3

    ReplyDelete